What could be the ideal mattress?
To put our dreams together product development team of Nakts Mēbeles defined our dream mattress:
- Ergonomic – for providing healthy sleeping conditions
- Good air-circulation – to guarantee right micro climate
- Easy washable – usually it is impossible to clean mattress, possibility to clean them by a user would extend life spam of the mattress
- Fits to adjustable beds – transformable beds are becoming more and more popular due to the aging of the society in Europe
- Recyclable – to use materials that can be recycled
For fulfilling these dreams we did a material research and found that 3d mesh fits well to our concept. This material is available in several thicknesses and densities what allows to create proper comfort levels for different users, as comfort relies on weight, size and sleeping habits of the user.
Functional qualities of this material:
- Extremely high air distribution in all directions – even under pressure
- Soft cushioning effect
- Excellent recovery
- High shock absorption
- Very low weight
- Long product life
- Comfort surface feel
- Better alternative for textiles, foam-, net-, lining- and flowing-materials of all kinds
We also decided to use Airvent that I describe in previous post.
Functional qualities of this material:
- Compared to current double-knits of the same weight 100% better ventilation possible.The use of so called air grids makes it possible to ventilate the mattress as desired.
- The air grids can create a kind of ’natural‘ ventilation; as we toss and turn during our sleep, the mattress is ’automatically‘ aired.
- Regulation of humidity and temperature.
- Creates a healthy sleep environment thanks to improved ventilation. A poorly aired mattress causes accumulation of humidity which increases the chance of harmful substances like bacteria, mold and mites. And this can result in various health problems like headache, sore throat, allergy and asthma
- High-grade yarns used
And a zipper for easy removable cover
To find right density from these materials and high pocket springs we had many experiment sessions and tests of finished prototypes.
At the end we developed 2 types of mattresses and a topper.
The central core of the mattress consists of pocket springs that are covered with several soft layers of smart cushioning 3d material to support body and provide right ergonomics. The cover is also made of 3d mesh material to have deep ventilation.
Elastic Flex mattress is lightweight and all made of smart cushioning 3d material. It provides good ergonomics, is all through ventilated for the healthy sleeping environment. The cover and the core are easy to clean.
Top Flex topper gives an extra sleeping comfort. It is perfect ventilated due to the central core that is made of 3 d material and outer layer that is made of especially designed soft knitted material with ventilation grids.The inner part is available in different densities. Easy to remove cover.
I wish people to dream more about a good mattress. And to do a sustainable choice when buying one.
For better sleeping comfort for the surface of mattress there is a specific knitted elastic fabrics used. First it was invented by dutch company Innofa and after many other mattress manufacturers started to produce same solutions.
In the fall of 2010 I visited this company and they introduced me with new Airvent fabric. It is this specific quality of this knitted stretch fabric – with better ventilation due to special air-grids in design.
I was really interested in this product as it fit to the concept of a new mattress (ergonomic, adjustable, recyclable, hypo allergic and easy to clean) we at company Nakts Mēbeles were working on. The only thing what raised doubts was the look of this fabric. In offered samples they seemed to me as “too much design” for Baltic and Scandinavian markets.
Therefore I was doing a small study on what people in these regions like to see as a cover for the bed. And the discovery clearly identified that since several centuries these are stripes.
I found some samples.
Latvian traditional blanket
Lithuanian traditional blanket
Estonian traditional blanket
Finnish traditional blanket
Norwegian traditional textile
Danish decorative bed textile
And later I was working on implementing lines in the design of the Airvent fabric, in collaboration with the stretch fabric manufacturer.
After several samples made by the manufacturer the result was really pleasant.
From the usage of this fabric I can say that people are still on the way of learning that for a good sleep it is very important what are the materials mattress is created from. People are wondering why a good mattresses can be complicated and consist from advanced materials. Nobody really see where we sleep on. Why to invest in it?
If we think of good sports shoes that has a close contact to our feet, it is logic that we choose shoes from reliable manufacturer and accept to pay price for design & material specifics.
Mattress is in close contact to all our sensitive body. Doesn’t it deserve more attention since we spend ⅓ of our lives there?
This fall I visited conference “Textile-Smart Art” organized within the framework of the 50th Anniversary of Textile department of the Art Academy of Latvia. It was very interesting to hear speech of swedish artist Johanne Landin “Knitting – a living tradition”. She was talking about different knitting ornaments & inspirations. This was the first time I get to know that Latvian mitten ornaments are used in many countries, even in USA.
Christmas time is very special for all the people working with retail. Decorations are always needed. This year I feel so tired of all shiny balls and present boxes with ribbons. Thinking of a decoration that would be personal and traditional I remembered about Latvian mittens. I tried to turn them into the Christmas decorations for showrooms of Nakts Mēbeles.
I found many mitten drawings in some blog.
I made double-sided drawings of 4 types of mittens following traditional schemes.
Mittens were printed and hanged all around the showroom.
Latvian, unobtrusive, personal. Christmas mitten.